The program’s overall educational goals are to provide advanced training in economics research, to develop new knowledge in science, and to disseminate the knowledge gained through the appropriate channel. These educational objectives can be itemized as follows:
- Produce competent researchers in economics who can communicate new and innovative research findings to scientists and engineers worldwide.
- Train economists who are well versed in the general body of knowledge in the economics,
- Produce researchers with specialized knowledge in Economics and
- Increase the number of doctorates in Economics needed for nation building.
In order to achieve these aims and objectives, the major areas of focus offered by the programme are:
- Advanced Microeconomics
- Advanced Macroeconomics
- Advanced Mathematical Economics
- Development Economics
- International Economics
- Financial and Monetary Economics
- Energy and Petroleum Economics
The Master of Science (MSc) program in Economics is a research oriented degree program. Its purpose is to advance knowledge in the field of Economics and enable students of exceptional ability to undertake advanced study and original research. It prepares students for a research and/or teaching career in industry, research institutions, universities, and the government. The program has a focus on key areas of economic science that span the broad spectrum of economics such as development studies, international, energy and petroleum, financial, monetary, agricultural economics, etc.
Our comprehensive curriculum provides the students with the ability to identify, formulate, and execute solutions to real-world economic problems.
Of course, degree of advancement in economics is one of the major indices of development of country and therefore the MSc program in economics has been designed to train skilled graduates who could be job-creators and self-reliant. It seeks to empower graduates to be able to embark on ventures that can effectively transform the resources within their environment into goods and services. It there aims at producing graduates who can develop innovative entrepreneurial ideas and who understands the dynamic global economic issues and implement them in the development of the country for higher economic prosperity of the nation.