The MPH programme is designed to provide expertise in Public Health to meet the health manpower needs of all communities in Nigeria, other African countries and the world at large. The primary focus of the course is to produce Medical Officers of Health (MOH) and public health specialists to serve the public health needs at local government levels in Nigeria. Thus, addressing the health challenges from bottom to top approach. It will produce public health leaders and managers to run public health vertical programs / services in other clearly defined populations and in non-governmental and international health organizations.
The training programme shall meet the prescriptions for Medical Doctors who wish to proceed to full specialization in Community Medicine and Public Health through fellowship in any of the two postgraduate medical colleges (National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria or the West African College of Physicians).
The Nile University MPH programme will train these candidates in all the essential specialty areas of modern public health to enable them look after the health and wellbeing of any naturally existing or statutorily created communities in keeping with the modern practice of the discipline of public health. Following the successful completion of the course, the MPH graduate should have acquired a defined core of scientific knowledge, attitude and skills to be able to:
Carry out the duties of the Medical Officer of Health (MOH) (Medical Doctors).
- Demonstrate a full understanding of the disciplines of public health by their ability to function in leadership and managerial positions in public health agencies and in teaching positions related to public health.
- Carry out health systems research and utilize the research findings for policy and program formulations.
- Appreciate the organization and functioning of health care systems, particularly, the administrative and managerial mechanism for improving health care systems.
- Use epidemiological methods to identify community health problems and work as an active team member in planning, implementing and evaluating health programs.
- Train and provide supervision to other health workers in public health activities.